Corn is perhaps one of the most commonly consumed cereal in the world. Not just it is easy to work with but has a mildly sweet flavor that lifts any dish’s overall taste. Perhaps that’s why it is so widely incorporated in different cuisines. Corn is definitely one of my favourite ingredients to work with. Right from a simple corn on the cob to crispy fried corn fritters, any corn dish is a hit in my family. Makai or Corn Chevdo is one such corn dish that my family loves to devour.
Makai or Corn Chevdo looks similar to mashed potatoes in terms of texture and appearance. However, in terms of flavor it is very unique and different (YOU MUST TRY IT!). The mild sweetness of corn cooked in its own creamy milk and subtly flavoured with spices takes the taste profile of this simple dish to an entirely different level. It is mild in terms of heat index and so perfect for little humans and those who prefer less spicy food.
Makai Chevdo is easy and quick to make (hardly takes 20 minutes if the corn is grated). It is not so heavy yet a filling dish. You can enjoy it for a Sunday brunch, work lunch or give it as a kid’s tiffin meal. While makai no chevdo doesn’t need any accompaniments, we usually top it with “sev” (Gujaratis can’t get enough of sev) and have a refreshing drink on the side.
Here I share one of my family’s favourite corn dishes and hope that you will give it a try and enjoy it as much as we do.
Serves 2 | Prep time: 5-7 minutes | Cook time: 15-20 minutes
- 4 cups – crushed/grated corn
- 1 tbsp green chillies – finely chopped
- 8-10 – curry leaves
- ½ inch(small piece) – cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 tbsp – oil
- 1 tsp – mustard seeds
- ½ tsp – garam masala
- ½ tsp – turmeric powder
- 1.5 tbsp – lemon juice
- Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Add mustard seeds, cinnamon stick and cloves once oil is heated.
- Once mustard seeds start spluttering, add hing, curry leaves and green chillies.
- After about a minute, add crushed corn, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt.Mix everything well, cover it and cook for 15-20 minutes on medium heat.
- Once corn is cooked, add lemon juice. Makai no chevdo is ready to serve.
- Garnish with finely chopped cilantro/pomegranate seeds and serve makai no chevdo hot.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?